Friday, September 17, 2010

Blackberry Jam











































I love jam. So much so, I make a fresh jar every single week. It's such a wonderful way to take advantage of local and seasonal fruit (or to simply use up the fruits in your kitchen that are on the verge of turning). In this recipe traditional canning techniques are not utilized, so refrigerate and consume the jam within one week (I make mine in very small batches).  As well, feel free to use whatever berries happen to strike your fancy. I had a large basket of freshly picked blackberries at my disposal when I made my jam, so the choice for me was obvious. 

If you find yourself the owner of a large berry harvest, I suggest freezing your berries and saving them for use in pies and preserves (and all kinds of baking items really) during the winter. If stored properly, your fruit can last up to 6 months in your freezer. It's a perfect system for folks, like myself, who must have a nibble of peak-season berries on a daily basis.


BLACKBERRY JAM
Serves 4

Ingredients
1 pint/package fresh or frozen blackberries, rinsed and picked over (if fresh)
1 lemon, for the juice
1/2 cup sugar

In a medium saucepan combine blackberries, lemon juice and water. Stir ingredients and let sit for 30 minutes. Once the fruit has rested, boil over medium heat for 10-15 minutes, stirring often. Remove from heat and transfer the fruit to a jar (with an airtight lid). Keep in the refrigerator. Serve as is.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment